TATTOO AFTERCARE INSTRUCTIONS
You've spent a lot of time and effort to create the perfect tattoo—it's important that you know how to take care of them in the best way possible!
Suggested Aftercare For Tattoos
1. Remove bandage in a CLEAN bathroom 2-3 hours following the completion of your tattoo.
Bandage may be left on overnight if it feels comfortable and secure. If the bandage is removed
on the first night, the tattoo may stick to or stain bed sheets. Maintain clean bedding throughout
the healing process (about 2 weeks).
2. After removing bandage, wash the tattoo immediately
with warm water and soap.
PROCESS FOR WASHING A FRESH TATTOO:
• Carefully remove dressing and tape/coban
• create a lather in your hand with soap and warm water
• Gently clean tattoo using a circular motion, until all
ointment, blood, and lymphatic fluid are removed
• Rinse the tattoo and wash once again, gently, until the skin is clean
• a clean paper towel may also be used to dab the tattoo dry
3. Only use CLEAN HANDS to wash your tattoo.
NO washcloths, bath towels, bath sponges or loofahs on a fresh tattoo.
4. Once the tattoo is dry apply AQUAPHOR healing ointment, made by Eucerin.
Apply a thin layer and rub it in, then dab excess off with a clean paper towel. Use the Aquaphor for
the first 2-3 days then switch to a regular FRAGRANCE FREE lotion such as Lubriderm,
or any other fragrance free brand.
5. Fresh tattoos sometimes “weep” during the first couple of days,
meaning that plasma and ink form a thin moist coating on the skin. for this, we recommend washing
the new ink every 3-4 hours throughout the day until it is time to switch to FRAGRANCE FREE lotion.
6. Consult your artist if you plan to do any strenuous activity within the first ten day of having your tattoo. Lotion may be
applied to the tattoo as it dries out; however if your skin is extremely sensitive, lotion may cause
acne- like break outs. This can be taken care of by reducing the number of lotion applications per day.
7. Wear loose, preferably cotton clothing over the fresh tattoo.
The tattoo need not be rebandaged except in certain, rare instances. A bra strap, tight waistband,
sweaty gym shoe or itchy cotton sweater can potentially create healing problems. If you choose to
re-bandage your tattoo after washing be sure that only sterile bandages are used.
8. After a few days, the tattoo will begin to form flaky scabs that will
fall off on their own.
DO NOT PICK OR SCRATCH AT YOUR TATTOO. Keep it moisturized and the scabs will shed eventually.
Once again, they will be the color of the tattoo. It normally takes 2-4 weeks for a tattoo to
completely heal. If you have ANY questions about your healing, please contact one of our artists.
Please do not consult your friends about healing issues, as everyone’s experience is unique.
Our artists are more than happy to help with any concerns you might have.